Sunday, January 14, 2018

Juice Beauty Blemish Stick


Some of us are lucky enough to go through puberty with a small outbreak of acne, maybe a few dots here and there throughout high school, and then it's done. Off to adulthood with clear, smooth skin the majority march.

Lucky people.

I am not one of those people. While I had an outbreak every now and again in high school, my worst outbreaks have been by far in my later years in life. Adult acne is that stubborn racoon that won't leave my garbage cans alone. In an effort to curb the strange and continuous mountains forming on my face, I've been testing a variety of blemish sticks/treatments to see what actually works and what's just brand hype. What I've found is that while there are many different ways to administer  treatment, I absolutely love the convenience of blemish sticks. They're fast, you can take them with you anywhere easily, and you can spot treat very quickly and efficiently. The problem? Not all blemish sticks are created equal.

My beloved Burt's Bees blemish stick is readily available at almost every drugstore and grocery store with a beauty section and is found somewhere in the range of $7-$9. However, a few months ago while browsing around Whole Foods I encountered a stand with a few Juice Beauty blemish sticks half off. Instead of $15 they were $7.50. In my usual spirit of "Why not" I decided to pick one up.

Juice Beauty Blemish Stick Review


Juice Beauty "Blemish Be Gone": $15.00

Let me just start off by saying I love Juice Beauty. I've tried several of their skincare products in trial-size and they all worked beautifully for my skin type. Their makeup on the other hand hasn't always worked for me but I love what this brand does, which is why I was so excited to try this.

First thing I noticed? The roller ball was hit or miss. It either didn't distribute product no matter how many times I rolled it around, or on other days it wouldn't stop dispersing streams of product down my face from one momentary roll. Unpredictable is an understatement.

Second, and most importantly - the formula. My skin is combination, but it definitely gets drier in the winter. I started using this at the end of September and stopped using it at the beginning of December. Within those two months the redness in my faced tripled. My breakouts seemed far more sensitive to the touch and the redness became constant. I assumed it was due to moving and the related stresses, but when the minute I stopped using it and went back to Burt's Bees, the redness decreased more than 50% within the first day.

The ingredients sound wonderful and promising:
Organic Juices of Vitis Vinifera (Organic White Grape Juice) - Grapes contain tons of anti-oxidants which are supposed to help clear up skin and help it glow.

Pyrus Malus (Organic Apple Juice) - Apple juice's alkaline nature helps with inflammation
Aloe Barbadensis (Organic Aloe Juice) - Full of vitamins and anti-oxidants which are supposed to help with acne, psoriasis and redness.

 Salix Alba & Salix Nigra (Willow Bark Extract) - Contains salicylic acid which is used as a natural exfoliant and a common acne treatment because it helps shed dead skin cells and cleanse pores.

Citrus Medica Limonum (Organic Lemon Juice)​ - Naturally bacterial which is great for cleansing pores and treating acne



And the list goes on. With ingredients like these I had a lot of high hopes for this blemish stick, but if anyone has sensitive skin, you might want to set your sights elsewhere for blemish treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment