Sunday, October 19, 2014

Melted, and not the Too Faced kind


Nowadays when someone mentions the term "Melted", we, (or at least I), automatically think of the Too Faced lip products. They're colorful, bold and beckon to me every day at work, so I've always hoped that when if I ever said I experienced melting, it would be the lip product I would be referring to. This morning when I was doing my makeup though, I did experience melting, but not the kind I ever hoped I would:

A week ago I purchased a bag that Sephora offers; this one was called Summer Stash. It was a collection of sample sizes of Sephora's favorite summer products.


It had gone on sale about a month or so ago, and I had been watching it patiently, waiting for it to get marked down to a price that I could afford. Finally, a week ago, it had been marked down to the wonderfully low price of $11. After my discount, I walked out of there with it for $9. I was happy, especially since I was adding that beautiful little pot of the Stila eyeshadow pictured in the middle. To be honest, that was one of my main motivations to purchase the bag - I love Stila eyeshadow. I've used my Stila pallet into almost extinction, and the color looked so lovely on the packaging that I just couldn't pass it up. When I opened this bag, I was over the moon. The eyeshadow looked exactly like the picture, so I giddily put it in my drawer with the rest of my eyeshadows to wait until I had a look to use it for. 

Flash-forward to this morning, I'm so excited to try it out, and I pull it out of my drawer only to find it looked rather.....soupy. The beautiful golden color had been replaced by this strange bronze-y pinkish hue, and it no longer looked like a gold nugget, but instead a pot of glittery soup. There was also a strange pinkish liquid that had gathered at the top of the lid where it was screwed. I was panicked - I thought if this eyeshadow melted, then the others did too! Frantically I pulled out every eyeshadow to see if something had melted my collection in the middle of the night, but I found something strange - none of the others had been effected. They were all cool to the touch and perfectly intact.



When I hunted for a heat source that could've caused this, I found none, which only added to my confusion. Nothing caused this eyeshadow to spontaneously implode in it's container, and so I emailed Stila customer service with these pictures as proof I'm not crazy. 

As of right now I haven't heard back from them, but when I do I'll let you know if there's a reason why a metallic eyeshadow would do this. I own glittery shades from multiple brands, both in pallets and in single pots, and I've never experienced anything like this before. I tried to Google "Why did my eyeshadow melt?", "What causes eyeshadow to melt in it's container?", and various other questions, but nothing that could explain spontaneous implosion while stored in a cool, dark place.

This caught me off guard, but nothing will stop me from buying Stila. I love them with a passion, and I'm certain there's a good explanation for why something like this occurs. It may not be commonplace, but I'm certain something like this has happened before with other brands. I'll be posting in a week or two with what I hear back. <.3

No comments:

Post a Comment