Thursday, September 8, 2011

Perfumed Perfection

Good evening lovelies! I hope you all have had an amazing week so far. Luckily in 2 weeks my classes will be over and I will be able to go back to my regular updating schedule! To make up for lost time, I want to talk to you about something that most of us love but we don't really think about very much: perfume. Our signature scent. Yes, we have those designers that we love their clothes and so of course we want to smell like them as well, but is their scent really meant for us? Or is it just too overpowering and making us smell less than wonderful? Or do you not wear perfume at all?

While I can't afford miss Coco Chanel's clothing, I can afford to quote one of my favorite quotes of hers:

"A women who doesn't wear perfume has no future"

Now, Miss Chanel was famous for her opinions, and boy did she have many, but this is one of my favorite ones because I feel that it's true to a degree. Mind you, wearing perfume during an interview is a no-go, ever ever ever because you never know what scent your employer prefers, but other than that it needs to be worn, at least, in my opinion. 

Will you die without wearing it? No, but will you get complimented? Yes. I get complimented on my scent often. I sometimes hear "That smells like what my grandmother used to wear" and they smile sweetly and inhale, looking like they're with their beloved grandmother again. I personally take that as a compliment because A.) nostalgia factor, and B.) grandmothers always seem to know what's up.

The only one who has ever not liked my scent is my dear friend Andrew, but mind you he doesn't like any scent period; his nose is extra sensitive, so it's no big deal. What do I wear you ask? Betsey Johnson's scent that has sadly been discontinued. (I will buy out every supply I find until there is no more, and then I will cry because no other scent has ever mixed with my skin so well).


Of course, being a thrift addict, I refuse to pay a lot for my fragrance. How much do I pay you ask? Never more than $30, while this originally retailed for nearly $60. Where do I find it you ask? Tj Maxx & Ross. Don't believe me? Tj Maxx is one of the best-kept fragrance secrets. They always have the best fragrances for a mere fraction of the retail cost. 

Another great place to find inexpensive prices is:

You always must shop around ladies!

How to find your perfect scent

Now, for those that aren't sure how to go about finding your fragrance, remember that the most important thing about a fragrance is to try it on your wrist and wait about 5-10 minutes to see how the scent mixes with your body's natural scent and chemistry.

In the latest issue of Allure, there is an article about perfume in France entitled "French Lessons" by Judy Bachrach. In it, it talks about the differences in how French women view perfume as compared to American women. They like their perfume seductive and subtle, where as American women prefer loud, in-your-face scents that say too much and are far too overpowering for the person.

For me, I prefer my scents subtle and sweet. If you're unsure of what to wear, wear pheromones. Yes, you read correctly, pheromones. I used to wear a few dabs on my neck a few years ago for a very specific reason: they always smell good on you. You don't need to think about if it will work with your body's specific scent because everyone has pheromones. Plus, everyone is happy when their pheromones are going, so you will always smell good and attractive to both sexes. You can buy them at any sex store.



No comments:

Post a Comment