Sunday, March 27, 2011

Going Gaga + One-of-a-kind Finds

Good evening lovelies! I hope you all had the most amazing week! Tonight, I am going to bring you an amazing idea that is Gaga-inspired, since I am going to her concert Tuesday evening, as well as a special find that I stumbled across today in my adventures.

Special Find

While taking a few-hour much needed break today, my mother and I wondered around in Ojai earlier. [Yes, where Reese Witherspoon just got married. Yes, where Robert Downey Jr. was yesterday. Yes, I missed Robert Downey Jr. by 24 hours. F@#%!!!] I stumbled into a consignment store hoping to find something wonderful to take home; I wasn't let down. For the past year and a half I have been trying to find a magnifying glass necklace worth my money. To find them in a store is nearly impossible; to find them online is very easy, but they are always very expensive. If you go on Ebay or Amazon or Etsy, they're all very beautiful, but the more affordable ones are always the plain ones without much detail. Retailers and sellers across the world know that these are very popular, which is why the prices are always so high. Usually in demand by old ladies, they've been seen around the necks of younger fashionistas over the past few years, making the magnifying glass necklace something desirable with a grandma-chic feel.

True to my form of being somewhat of a grandma, I have been searching non-stop for a funky little one to hang around my neck. I had just about all given up until I walked into the store and asked if they knew if they had any on hand from any sellers. 

This is what they brought me:

Originally, $40. I asked if they could take it down to $30. I asked politely and was more than willing to wait while they called the seller. She agreed. More than I was willing to spend for any piece of jewelry, but I had waited for a year and a half to own one, and now I do. 

Little did I realize how excellent of a deal I actually got until this evening when I checked online for other swan necklaces....:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/61258600/the-vintage-swan-magnifying-glass

The beautiful necklace that i own is not the only one, which I'm perfectly fine with since was the only one I could find online. This goes for $62, without shipping & handling. I got mine for $32, after tax, no shipping & handling needed.


If you ever see something you love that is more than you can afford:
1.) Ask POLITELY. If you are rude, you are going home empty.
2.) Have a price in your head BEFORE you talk to them, but seem very sweet and thoughtful about how you say it. DON'T say it bluntly or with an attitude.
3.) If you need to wait for them to call someone, be patient and be willing to wait.
4.) Be firm, but BE POLITE. They are more willing to work with nice customers.
5.) DO be willing to bargain. My recommendation, start off by first stating a lower price than what you can afford. That way, if they bargain up and you end up settling on a higher price, it's still one that you can afford and won't break the bank.
6.) One of the most important rules. Show that you love it and are serious about buying it. If you act nonchalant and like you really don't care, they're not going to want to put in the time to bargain with you since it seems like it's not that important to you. If you act like you need it and you can't leave without it and you're serious about bargaining, they will take you more seriously and be more willing to work with you.


Going Gaga

Since dressing like Lady Gaga is expensive and time-consuming and sometimes just seems downright painful, I still want to bring a very gaga-feel to my outfit when I attend her concert Tuesday evening. That's why, on a whim, I decided to get my nails done. For those that know me, I almost never get them done. It's happened 3 times in the past 5 years. But, between work and more work, I haven't had the time or the energy to make my nails pretty. That's why, when I was at the nail salon, i came up with the idea for this:


Yes, Gaga lightening bolt nails. The guy who did the bolts was hilarious and it was an excellent experience, and I have gotten a lot of compliments since I have gotten them done. They're bright and bold, but not insane. They're doable, and wearable for anyone of any age. For those who wish to try this at home, I recommend a special nail polish that has a super-fine and thin brush. Thick brushes can't draw the edges like small brushes can. If you've made a mistake and wish to erase some polish, get some nail-polish alcohol, dip a piece of cloth in, and wipe away the mistake. Alcohol erases nail polish, which makes sense since nail-polish remover is made up of mostly alcohol.

If you're using an insanely thick and glompy nail-polish, pour in a bit of acetone, but make sure to mix thoroughly. A bit of nail polish acetone will thin out the nail polish enough to make it glide on smoothly if it's a very thick one. 

Oh the things one learns at the salon.

No comments:

Post a Comment