Monday, August 18, 2014

DIY: How to fix your favorite glitter shoes


About a year and a half ago, my husband (then boyfriend) decided to propose to me in a whirlwind of romance and cannibalistic squirrels. As a fashion girl who had planned many a fake weddings for class projects, I knew that my first wedding venture would be my shoes. I was either going to walk down the aisle barefoot, or have outrageous shoes full of color/glitter.

Finding the right balance between circus clown and comfortable proved to be a bit of a challenge, but I lucked up one night when I stumbled across ShopTheShoeBox.com - one of my favorite websites that offers high-end shoes at a fraction of the cost. I found the most beautiful pair of gold Vince Camuto glitter oxfords for only $20. I normally sit on online purchase decisions for about 24-48 hours, to make sure it's something I really want vs. just a spur of the moment urge. 

I was finished checking out 4 minutes after first discovering them. 

Since then, not only were they my wedding shoes, but they've been a staple in my wardrobe when I want to spice up an outfit. Which is why when I noticed about 2 months ago that the glitter was beginning to crack and come off in small chunks that my heart broke into a million pieces. I knew Vince Camuto didn't have anymore of that style since it was over a  year old, so when I realized that a Hobby Lobby was only 20 minutes down the road, I knew what I had to do. 

[As you can see, at the front of the shoes by the toes there are cracks and missing sections]

Luckily for me, Hobby Lobby carries the exact same size and just a fraction different of the same color glitter used on my shoes.The goal? Redo each shoe entirely.

[While I love the original rose-gold glitter, this gold glitter is quite pretty too, and will do just fine as a replacement color]

The end result? Perfection.


No comments:

Post a Comment