Sunday, June 20, 2010

Chanelore

Good evening lovelies! I hope you have all had a marvelous week and beginning of summer.
I am back in Ventura after going for over 24 hours straight without sleep to drive to JFK, fly to Burbank, and take a train to Ventura. The entire ordeal was very similar to the classic "Planes, Trains & Automobiles", minus the awesome-ness of John Candy and Steve Martin.

While I was in New York, I shopped. Yes, I found some amazing deals. Like a Romeo & Juliet dress for only $2, and a beautiful long-sleeved plaid button-up for only $3. Yes, I found gorgeous rings from Pier 1 for only $1 each. While I found all of these amazing deals, the most influential thing that I came across was my mother's copy of "The Gospel According to Coco Chanel".
I brought my own book to read on the plane & train rides, but being the book worm that I am, the book I brought lasted all of 1 train & plane ride. The plane ride back was spent sleeping, but by the time I got to the train, I was wide awake. That's when I saw the book sticking out of my mother's carry-on. I snatched it up since she was busy devouring magazines, and I began to read. Within 3 hours, I had completed the book. It took everything I had to put it down when we had to get off of the train.

Miss Chanel is famous for her simplicity with style, her strong opinions, and her never having married. I do desire to marry, my strong opinions are not always spoken, though always thought, and my style couldn't be further from "simple".

Yet I found myself fascinated, frustrated, and utterly enamored with Miss Chanel. She was not an easy woman to deal with, but she was one of the smartest women in history. (My own personal opinion)

That is why, while I may be the opposite of everything she ever stood for, liked, and even tolerated, I find myself observing fashion, personal style, and overall confidence in a whole new light after reading "The Gospel According to Coco Chanel". This is exactly why I recommend this book to anyone and everyone who likes to read.

Whether you are Anna Wintour's assistant, or you own 1 pair of jeans and 1 tshirt and don't give a crap about what you put on your body, this book will make you stop and think, and not just about clothing. This is a must-read.



Also, during Fashion Week in Sao Paolo, Brazil, it was apparent that somebody's a Gaga fan. While this designer's model strutted down the runway in this hat only a few days ago....

Gaga sported this look months ago.


And with that, until Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment