Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Gold Rush of Nail Polish


One of my obsessions started back in high school when I began to dip my toe into the girly-girl pool freshman year: painting my nails. Each week was an exciting moment to choose how I wanted to express my personality and mood, on my nails that is. I wouldn't just change the color though, I would go all out and paint different shapes on each nail. One nail would be fireworks, the next fish, and the next a balloon. I blame it all on my mother when she got me a nail art design kit for my birthday one year.

My obsession has spiraled from there, and now I feel naked without my nails colored. I always try to keep it interesting, even if it's a clear base with a splatter paint effect. I love to make my nails pop. However, I don't love paying full price for nail polish. Nail polish prices can add up very quickly if you're not careful, which is why I'm always on the hunt for great deals and ways to get brands like Deborah Lippmann, Butter London, Julep and Zoya for a fraction of the cost. I've been very lucky over the years; walking into beauty stores on just the right day, having friends and family who tried the color once and didn't like it, and by scanning websites and emails religiously for that magical word "sale". 

[My collection of colors]

While I knew that beauty stores were great places to look, I would pass over stores like TJ Maxx and Marshall's because to me they were only purses, shoes and clothes. I was colored surprised last week though when I walked into Marshalls and found an entire stand dedicated to Julep nail polishes. Yep, those sparkling little beauties that normally retail for $14.00 I found at Marshall's, and guess how much they were. 

$3.99


[The pearlescent color was just too pretty to pass up!]



I did backflips and cartwheels (In my mind) and swiped a color I didn't already own (something that's getting harder and harder to find). After checking out, I felt like I had robbed a bank and gotten away scot-free. I skipped all the way across the parking lot in a dress and heels. Yep, a 26 year-old skipped because of nail polish, in heels no less.

I have no shame, and mad skipping skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment